Sports Premium Funding
A Sporty Year at Pentland
We have enjoyed an action packed year of exciting PE and Sports activities here at Pentland Infant and Nursery School. Here are some of the things that have been on offer:
- Every year group has had the opportunity to work with Mrs Gerrard, our Specialist PE Teacher who comes to work in the school for one morning each week. Her knowledge and expertise has helped with developing the children’s Gymnastic, Games and Athletic skills. She has enhanced the teacher’s knowledge and confidence in teaching PE and they have lots of new ideas to continue to implement in lessons when Mrs Gerrard is not in school.
- Year 2 children have enjoyed six weeks of Rugby coaching with expert coach, Craig from Batley Bulls. At the end of the summer term, they had developed their skills so well that they won in a rugby tournament played against our friends at Savile Town C of E Infant and Nursery School!
- Year 1 children have had their football skills enhanced by receiving expert coaching from Ben who works for the FA and the School Sports Partnership that our school belongs to. At the end of the tuition period, they showed off their new found skills to their parents.
- Ben also helped some of Year 2 girls develop a football team of their own at lunchtimes. After a few weeks of coaching, they hugely enjoyed a game against their friends at Thornhill Lees C of E Infant and Nursery School and were happy to come away as champions!
- Earlier in the year, all the children enjoyed a Dance/Movement assembly and then workshop based on the story ‘Where the Wild Things Are’. A West End Theatre Dancer came into school for the day to demonstrate different types of dance and then help children to consider how to tell the story through movement themselves.
- Sports Day in May was a huge success. All the children from across the school worked in teams, with friends from different age groups. They completed a circuit of activities designed to put into practice the multi-skills that they have been learning across the year in PE. It was a very hot day, but everyone put in lots of energy and enthusiasm. We have some real sport superstars in school! Lots of parents came to cheer us on and even the mums and school staff had a race!
- There have been some interesting new sports activities on offer as After School Clubs. Lots of children enjoyed Rollerskating and Boxercise. Rebecca also taught a Dance After School Club and we had a Funky Fingers Club to develop children’s fine motor skills too.
- Children attending Breakfast Club now enjoy a morning Sports and PE session on a Thursday with Mrs Gerrard. This is a new addition this year and is being much enjoyed by the children who are here bright and early. Miss Sheikh responded to the children’s enjoyment and now runs a session herself for the Breakfast Club attendees on a Tuesday morning too.
- Development work has gone into ensuring that lunchtimes are as active and fun as possible. All the Lunchtime Organisers received training on providing a variety of games and sports activities. The PE Subject Leader redesigned the playground into activity zones and two Lunchtime Organisers took on the role of Play Leaders.
It’s worth noting that……Sport at Pentland is not just for children; Mums have been enjoying Keep Fit here too. Earlier in the year we hosted a series of Keep Fit/Aerobic classes and then thanks to a ‘It’s Up to You’ funding grant, a series of Keep Fit/Martial Arts lessons were able to take place in the school hall.
Pentland Infant and Nursery School
Sports Premium Grant Spending
Every year, the school receive additional funding to support the development of sport and PE learning and activities.
Please click on the link below to read how we have allocated and spent the funding for the benefit of all our children.