Year 2 - Cressida Cowell 2018-2019
The teachers in our class are:
Miss Akhtar and Mrs Navasarka.
Children will have one Guided Reading lesson each week. All the children will have an opportunity to read to an adult during these sessions. Please note, that guided reading books will be changed every two weeks. Each child has a reading diary, each week there will be new reading challenges linked to their guided reading book. Please complete the challenges with your children, as well as signing their reading diary. Children will also take home a library book each week, which they will choose from the school library area.
Each half term a 'Homework menu' will be sent home. This will contain challenges that link to our topic . You can then select one challenge to complete per weekend. Please bring homework books back on Monday morning.
Spellings will be sent home on a weekly basis. Please practise reading and spelling these words at home as much as possible, in preparation for Spelling Quiz the following week.
Our P.E. day for this half term is Tuesday and Thursday. Please ensure that your child has their P.E. kit in school on this day. PE kit includes: a white T shirt, navy or black jogging bottoms/shorts and a pair of pumps.
How you can help at home:
- Support your child with completing their homework challenges, ensuring they return them on a weekly basis.
- Practise reading and writing the weekly spellings that are sent home.
- Prompt your child to remember their book bag and P.E kit, to encourage their independence
- Read every day with your child, making the experience as fun and supportive as possible. Remember to make a note in the reading diary when you have read your book together.
- Don't feel limited by only reading the books sent home from school; try visiting your local library as they have lots of exciting books for you to borrow!
Things you could do after reading:
- Question your child about what they have read to ensure that they understand.
- Ask your child which part of the story they liked best and why.
- Ask your child to draw and describe their favourite character and say why they like them.
- Close the book and ask your child to retell the story in their own words.
- Draw a story map for the book they have been reading.
- Practise reading the story with expression; you could act out a scene from the book.
- In the book is factual, discuss what you have learnt from their book. Is there anything else they would like to find out? How could you research it?
Year 2 - Cressida Cowell: News items
Year 2 - Cressida Cowell: Blog items
Year 2 - Cressida Cowell: Gallery items
Year 2 - Cressida Cowell: Events items
There are no Events items to display